After making fried eggs and shrimp, I needed to do something with the extra tomatoes and red onion. I looked in the fridge and saw some tofu and fresh egg noodles that we often pick up at the local Asian supermarket. With a few other ingredients, I whipped up this super easy curry tofu noodle stir-fry.
We enjoyed the dish so much, I made it again a few days later. The first time, I added a little too much hot curry powder for Hungry Bear's taste. My heat tolerance is off the charts, so it was mild for me. The next time I made it, I threw in a little coconut cream to soothe the heat and sweet petite peas for some color.
The main flavors of the dish came from the curry powder and a little sweetness from the tomatoes and coconut cream. If you like a sweet heat, add the coconut cream. We actually preferred it without the cream. At the store down the street, we can find a plethora of fresh egg noodles. I've made the dish with thick, round noodles and thin, flat noodles (pictures 3 and 4 in the slideshow). We liked the thin, flat noodles better.
It's a simple but flavorful dish that can be prepared in less than 20 minutes. And it was a great way for us to clean out the fridge.
Natural Light versus Lowel Ego Light
Another thing I want to point out in the slideshow is the last three pictures. I picked up a set of Lowel Ego lights after Jaden of Steamy Kitchen recommended them. The third to last picture is a shot of the noodle dish with natural lighting (kitchen window). I use the Lowel Ego lights in the last two pictures in the slideshow.
The pictures with the Ego lights are decent, particularly the close-up shot (last picture). The Ego lights are a little harsh compared with natural light, which is softer and more pleasant. This was my first time using the lights, so I'm sure I can improve the picture quality with better light placement. Overall, I'm pleased with the Ego lights, but I need to play with them a little more.
Curry Tofu Noodle Stir-Fry Recipe
- 28 ounces (2 packages) soft or medium tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 10-12 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Indian hot curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (optional)
- 1 pound (16 oz) fresh thin egg noodles, cooked
- Drain tofu and blot dry with paper towel. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch square cubes and set aside.
- In a large wok, heat oil over high heat. Add onions and stir-fry until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir-fry until softened, about 2 minutes. Mix in sugar, fish sauce, curry powder, salt and coconut cream. Add tofu and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, allowing flavors to penetrate.
- Add egg noodles and mix all ingredients. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings
[tags]curry, tofu, noodles, stir fry, easy, tomatoes, red onions, peas[/tags]