Sometimes the simplest food is the best food. It doesn't get any easier than fried eggs and shrimp (trung chien tom). Throughout my childhood, my mom made this dish, serving it with steamed rice. It was so simple, yet so satisfying.
This past Sunday night, I made fried eggs and shrimp for the SNDsters and Hungry Bear baked a carrot cake. We'll share the carrot cake recipe next time. In my family, we served trung chien tom on a bed of greens and tomatoes. Then we dunked it all in Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham) and ate it with jasmine rice. I'm not sure how normal it is to eat it this way, but it's ingrained in me and I'm sticking with it. Does anyone else eat it like this?
The meal has a nice combination of sweet, salty and slightly bitter from the watercress. The greens and tomatoes cut down the richness and makes it a little healthier. Fried eggs and shrimp is such a comforting Vietnamese dish for me. It's super easy to make and is absolutely delicious!
Fried Eggs and Shrimp Recipe (Trung Chien Tom)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of watercress or 1 head of lettuce, washed and dried
- 8 ounces tomatoes, sliced
- Canola oil
- Nuoc cham (Vietnamese dipping sauce)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, soy sauce and pepper together. Mix in red onion, green onion and shrimp.
- In a large nonstick skillet, add enough oil to thinly coat the surface and heat over medium heat. Ladle 1-2 tablespoons egg mixture into skillet, making sure to include a shrimp and some onions in the ladle. Repeat process to fill skillet. Fry for 1-2 minutes and flip when the eggs are lightly browned. If the eggs run together, separate them by cutting the egg with a wooden spoon or spatula, and flip each shrimp with surrounding egg. Cook for another 1-1 1/2 minutes until the shrimp is done. Transfer to a plate with paper towels to drain the excess oil. Between batches, add more oil to the skillet if necessary.
- Serve the fried eggs and shrimp on a bed of watercress/lettuce and tomatoes. Dip the fried eggs and shrimp into nuoc cham and eat with a bowl of rice.
Makes 4 servings when eaten with rice
SNDsters: Jane, Mark, Hungry Bear, Chuck
[tags]fried, eggs, shrimp, red onions, vietnamese, easy, nuoc cham, watercress, tomatoes[/tags]